If I had to make an Essential Oils List for a Basic Care Kit, these would be the 10 Essential Oils that I would choose...
I have chosen these oils because of their versatility as well as their medicinal properties. They can be used in blends with each other or individually and are excellent for many treatments - from coping with stress to making air freshner.
On this page I will give you a description of the uses of the particular oil.
1. LAVENDER - is one of the most relaxing oils and, if you only have one bottle of aromatherapy oil in your home - this should be it! Top of my Essential Oil List!
Great for treating wounds and burns. It speeds healing and reduces scarring and can be applied directly to the skin. Headaches, insomnia and mild depression can also be treated with Lavender. An excellent mood tonic!
In fact, - If in doubt, use Lavender!
2. EUCALYPTUS - is a wonderfully versatile and useful oil with great medicinal qualities. It cools the body in summer and protects it in winter.
It is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antibiotic, diuretic, analgesic and deodorising. So it is great for relieving coughs and colds. Eucalyptus also helps boost the immune system, relieves sunburn and muscle tension. It is an antiseptic.
3. GERANIUM - is one of my favourite oils because it works profoundly on the emotions and has many other uses - AND smells wonderful while it is doing it's work!
Use Geranium to treat chillblains...It really works!
Also an integral ingredient in treating skin conditions (like eczsema). Helps balance hormones in women, is an anti- depressant and can also be relaxing and up-lifting. Great as an insect repellant; also for cuts and bruises and fungal infections. Its antiseptic and astringent properties contribute to its usefulness.
4. CHAMOMILE - really effective in stress relief!
Chamomile is a calming oil - particularly good for treating insomnia and nervous conditions such as anxiety. Also relieves muscle aches and tension. It is highly valued for its anti-inflammatory properties... so, great for relieving teething miseries in babies.
Use for sensitive skin conditions, as well as indigestion, diarrhoea, nausea, fever and any depressive states.
5. ROSEMARY - is both stimulating and uplifting. And as a mental and physical stimulant, it is a good oil to add to your morning bath!
Rosemary is excellent in treating any muscular conditions - so mix with a carrier oil and massage your aches away. It stimulates the immune system and the digestive system. Use also for stimulating mental activity and clarity of thought. And good for respiratory complaints.
Rosemary is used in beauty treatments like hair care, acne and cellulite rememdies. And, don't forget to use it in the kitchen!
6. PEPPERMINT - keeps mice, rats and fleas away!
I always have peppermint around to treat any digestive ailments such as flatulence, slow digestion and heartburn. It's anti-inflammatory and anti-septic qualities make it a "must" in a blend for treating flu... Also good for travel sickness, headaches, blocked sinuses, toothache and fatigue.
7. TEA TREE - the antiseptic action is thought to be 100x more powerful than carbolic acid - and yet it is non-poisonous to humans!
Tea Tree is a natural anti-fungal, antibiotic and anti-viral which makes it excellent for treating all sorts of fungal infections like vaginal yeast infections, jock itch, athlete's foot, and ringworm. Also good for sunburn, acne and tooth ache.
8. LEMON - very good in a synergistic blend! Refreshing and Cheering!
Citrus oils have long been used for their calming and balancing actions. The zesty aroma of lemon will uplift you and disinfect the air in your home at the same time. Add a few drops of Lemon essential oil to cleaning water especially if you have pets.
Remember to use Lemon in blends for treating insect bites, tension headaches, for aiding digestion, supporting the lymphatic system and liver function. It is also commonly used in weight loss and cellulite reduction.
9. YLANG YLANG - considered to be a very sensual oil, euphoric and romantic!
I can recommend this oil as an anti-depressant. Great for stress relief and depression - calming and soothing. It has antibacterial properties and will help you to relieve muscle tension.
Ylang Ylang has been shown in clinical trials in England to be one of the most effective oils for epilepsy. This oil is one of the most popular oils in the world. It is known as a "love oil" and I like to make a blend with Jasmine or Rose.
It is very soothing to the skin and a few drops in your bath works well!
10. CLARY SAGE - is a member of the mint family!
It's benefits are euphoric, centering, visualising! It is valued for creating a sense of relaxation and easing tension in both mind and body. Essential in dealing with stress.
Clary Sage is on my list for it's ability to reduce pain, for soothing tension and muscle aches, insomnia and easing menstrual cramps. It is well known as an ingredient in perfume and also benefits those with oily skin and dandruff.
You can do your shopping right here. No need to even leave your computer... Just click here for my hand-picked selection just for you!
* Make sure that you buy your essential oils from a reputable supplier - some oils can be adulterated or impure. This changes their potency and their effect.
* Keep your oils in dark glass bottles.
* Treatments with Essential Oils do not replace medical treatment.
* Broaden your enjoyment of Aromatherapy by reading a good book on the subject.
All this great information and more can be found in Valerie Ann Worwood: