Feng Shui Office Tips
Use feng shui office tips to make sure that your work space reflects your needs.
You may work in a formal office, a shop front, a garage, a study or the corner of a room...
Whatever your work space, follow these simple feng shui office tips and use the energy to get you where you want to go!
Your office space has good feng shui if it:
- reflects your personality
- supports your physical body
- creates a mental and physical atmosphere that encourages you to do your best work
- provides a balance between risk-taking, relaxation and concentration
- supports your financial goals
- keeps you grounded and gives you inspiration for the future
I can really recommend Sharon Stasney's book Feng Shui Your Work Spaces
if you want an in-depth yet simple explanation of feng shui office tips. She gives useful advice on choosing office furniture, decoration and how to place items for maximum energy flow.
I also like to use these Feng Shui Dos and Taboos: A Guide to What to Place Where by Angi Ma Wong...
Feng Shui Office Tips
- DO sit in the corner farthest from the entrance to the room to have a “command” position.
- DON”T sit in line with the door, as you will be in the path of negative energy.
- DO keep your back toward a corner or a wall for support. If a post protrudes from the corner or wall, correct it by covering it with a hanging plant’s draping foliage.
- DO sit with a tall building behind you to provide the support of a “mountain” if your back is to a window.
- DON”T face away from the door if you are conducting business from home. Business will symbolically come to you through the door, so don’t turn your back on it.
- DON”T arrange your workspace so that you look straight out into a corridor or see the stairs, storage rooms, closets, elevators, escalators, or toilets.
- DO put your computer in the North or West area of your office to enhance your creativity. Place the computer in the Southeast if you use it to generate income.
- DO place an aquarium or tabletop fountain in the East, North, or Southeast. A small aquarium with black or blue fish in the North area of your desk or office will activate your business and career success. Guppies or a single arrowana are ideal for an aquarium made of glass and metal.
- DO place a safe, which is usually made out of metal, in either West or Northwest, which both represent the metal element. The safe symbolizes the prosperity and financial security of a business.
- DO have a good balance of yin and yang when decorating your workspace. Balance light and dark colors, soft and hard surfaces, and smooth and rough textures in your choice of window treatments, furniture, and flooring.
- DON”T have any mirrors in your office, as they can reflect negative energy from clients to other people in the room. You should always maintain control over the energy in your office.
- DO treat the files in your office with respect. They represent your past, present, and future business.
- DO keep the cords to your office equipment well hidden. This elimate clutter and allows for the free flow of chi.
Useful Feng Shui Tips For a Home Office
If you work from home, physically separate your work space as much as possible. If you do not, you may find that you tend to get pulled into normal home life and other distractions.
Set up boundaries. If you have a door, keep it shut. You need to limit interruptions and distractions otherwise you may find yourself not being as productive as you need to be workwise.
Avoid the bedroom. Placing your workspace in the bedroom is asking for trouble! It is a sure way of generating resentment from your intimate partner. If you do not have an intimate partner, working in your bedroom may block a new person from entering your life.
Use the bagua map to help you determine the best possible placement for your home office. Where your office is located in terms of the bagua map influences the energy of the office.
Even if you only have a small cubicle to work in, you can practise diy stress relief with our cubicle feng shui tips.
Have a look at your work space and then try some of these feng shui office tips and notice the subtle changes in your working environment!
Have fun! And make your everyday living better!