Signs Symptoms Of Panic Attacks
Knowing the signs symptoms of panic attacks can make it much easier for you to deal with it.
The first time I had a panic attack I thought that I was dying! I was alone at home with my two young children and could not get my breath, felt as if I was losing consciousness and could not focus...
All this added to the panic...
I wish I had known the signs and symptoms of panic attacks! Maybe I would not have been so frightened!
What Causes Panic Attacks
A panic attack is a sudden feeling of acute anxiety. It is quite normal for the body to prepare for fight or flight by raising the heartbeat and breathing rate, but in a panic attack, both are raised to abnormal levels. And breathing becomes extremely shallow and rapid.
The result is hyperventilation: too much carbon dioxide is exhaled and so the blood becomes acidic.
The signs and symptoms of panic attacks are
- muscular tension
- and, sometimes, numbness
Often you will feel that you are unable to function. The attacks seem to come out of nowhere, and can become a chronic recurring problem. You may feel intense fear and even hysterical.
Although they are quite distressing, panic attacks are not usually life-threatening. They can last from about 5 - 20 minutes. It is important to note that the signs and symptoms of a panic attack can be similar to those of a heart attack.
What To Do About Panic Attacks
You need to take immediate action to raise the levels of carbon dioxide in the blood AND you need to takelong-term actions to relieve the stress that is causing you to become anxious and panic.
- As an immediate diy first-aid treatment, breathe deeply and slowly in and out of a paper bag held over your mouth and nostrils. This will increase the level of carbon dioxide in the blood and lessen the signs symptoms of panic attacks.
- I have found that a good way to treat an acute attack of panic is with a homeopathic treatment. There are several remedies to which you might respond well. Keep a bottle of Rescue Remedy close at hand!
- Sometimes panic attacks can make you feel paralysed...
Studies by Jon Kabat-Zinn show that if people who are prone to panic attacks begin focused, meditative breathing the instant they feel the first signs of an episode, they are less likely to have a full-blown attack. This is what works for me! I have included some of the breathing exercises that I like to use in our page on breathing...
- From that page you can go to a simple breathing technique exercise which you can easily use when you feel as if you are spinning out of control.
- In the long-term, relaxation techniques can lessen the frequency and duration of panic attacks. And that is really what our site is about - have a look at our suggestions for relaxation techniques. Decide which appeals to you and enjoy finding a programme and a plan that you can use to lessen the effects of stress on your health. Scroll down the navigation bar on the left of this page and click on whatever interests you and then PLEASE do something everyday to help you lesssen the signs and symptoms of anxiety which can lead to panic attacks.
- Cognitive Therapy is often effective in treating the root cause of the problem.
Life these days is full of uncertainty!
Stress is very real and we need to take care of ourselves so that anxiety and panic does NOT become part of how we feel every day. You can know the signs symptoms of panic attacks and take steps to calm yourself before panic takes over. And, I promise you, it can be whole new way of looking at the world!
We would love to answer questions, make suggestions or share your signs symptoms of panic attacks with you... Drop us a line..
More Useful Information
- Breaking the Grip of Dangerous Emotions
by Janet Maccaro , PhD, C.N.C., offers excellent nutritional information on natural supplements for anxiety and/or depressive disorders. She personally experienced panic attacks and emotional exhaustion. I really recommend her book. You can pick up some good advice on what supplements would be useful in coping with panic attacks.
- Think Right Now
I recommend that you look at Think Right Now behaviour modification program. Click on the link to get an in-depth explanation of a unique DIY in-home program that can help you to quickly end chronic depression & panic without drugs, wipe out food addictions, build self-esteem, quit smoking, get organized, increase sales, keep more earnings, eliminate pain, and much more. What I like about Think Right Now is that you can use it in your own time and in your own way.
Go from Signs Symptoms of Panic Attacks to Causes of Anxiety